The capital of Cyprus, the capital of civilizations ...
In the old part of Nicosia, surrounded by fortress walls, you can see in one photograph the traces of four different civilizations ...
In 2500 BC. near the present-day city of Nicosia, the first settlement was established.
It is known that in the place of today's city of Nicosia in the 7th century BC. was the city of Ledra. In the 3-4 centuries BC The Egyptian king Ptolemy, the son of Soter, founded the city of Lefkon, the city began to expand and develop. Nowadays in the city there are many sights of the Louisiana, Venetians, Osman and England, reflecting the rich history of the city. Throughout history, the city was known by the names of Ledra, Lefkonecon, Kermia, Lefkon, Lefkosia. The name of the city from the French language was translated into English as Nicosia.
Nicosia, became the capital of the island in the Byzantine era from the 10th century and continues to be the capital until today. In the 7th century, as a result of the Arab-Byzantine wars, the capital from Salamis was transferred to a safer place, deep into the island. It was decided that Nicosia is the most suitable city for the capital. Beginning with the Byzantine period, the governors who were sent to Cyprus lived in Nicosia: Byzantine Dukas, Knights Templars, Louisian dynasty kings, Venetian governor, lords, Ottoman governors and finally governors during the English colonization. At all times they recognized Nicosia as the capital. If you consider that the settlements on the site of today's Nicosia appeared 4500 years ago, then we can say that Nicosia is one of the most ancient settlements in Cyprus.
In the capital of Nicosia, without doubt the most visited places are inside the fortress walls. The walls were built during the reign of the Louisiana dynasty and strengthened during the period of the Venetian rule. the length of the walls is 4.5 km, 11 bastions, 3 gates.
The old Nicosia is surrounded by fortress walls, one of the three entrances to the city is on the territory of the northern part, the Kyrenia Gates.
Saman Bakhcha, the first in Cyprus complex of social housing, was built in 1900 (the period of English rule).
Palace Square and the Venetian Column
Area of Ataturk
The oldest square in Nicosia, where until 1905 was the royal palace of the Louisiana dynasty. In 1905, during the reign of the British, the palace was destroyed. The window of the palace can be seen in the Museum of Stone Works. On the site of the palace, administrative buildings were built.
On the square you can see the Venetian column, established in 1550, as a symbol of the rule of Cyprus in the Venetian Republic.
The market of Arasta, one of the oldest markets in Nicosia.
Aya Sophia Square
Aya Sophia Cathedral (Selimiye Mosque)
The cathedral is built in the Gothic style, it is considered the largest and majestic cathedral of Cyprus. The cathedral was opened in 1326. The ceremony of crowning the kings of the Louisian dynasty took place in this cathedral. In the cathedral, attention is drawn to carving on the stone, which was made by French craftsmen.
After the conquest of Cyprus by the Ottoman Empire, the cathedral from 1570 was used as a mosque. The first minaret was built in 1572.
Church of St. Nicholas
It is located next to the cathedral of Aya Sophia. It was built in the 14th century as a Catholic church. Later it was used by the Cyprus Orthodox Church as a metropolitan building.
Caravan - Saray Buyuk Khan
The monument of the Ottoman period was built in the 16th century, the first Ottoman governor. A typical Ottoman inn in 68 rooms, with a large courtyard and a Mesjid (a place for prayer)